Besides the congratulatory hug at the end, my favorite part has to be “I WON AGAIN MOTHERFUCKER!”
All 20 minutes of Jon Stewart’s interview on Bassem Youssef’s own satirical news show in Egypt this week.
“If your regime is not strong enough to handle a joke, then you don’t have a regime.”
John Oliver is doing an amazing job, don’t get me wrong, but it’s nice to see Jon Stewart kicking ass and taking names and saying amazing things in Egypt.
And don’t get me started on Bassem Youssef. Bassem Youssef has so much (many?) balls to do what he does. He also has the most ridiculous laugh. This is so great.
The Emperor’s March was a nice touch!
The crush I have on Bassem Youssef is fucking ridiculous. Did you know he’s a surgeon too??
so he did not even try to get into star trek
at all ?????????????
my babies ♡
I’m not going to write a long post
since I’m already doing that for the film festivalbut here’s what you might like to know:
- Evie introduced them — a murmur of comprehension went through the crowd as she said her last name — and called their comedy “part teenage-boy stupidity and part razor-sharp satire.”
- What Jon wrote in Stephen’s copy of Naked Pictures of Famous People: “To Stephen: please don’t hurt me. Jon Stewart.”
- Jon faced a lot of resistance to his ideas when he first became host of The Daily Show. He had to be “talked off a moderately-high cliff.”
- Jon’s recurring theme: Jews. Stephen’s recurring theme: Lord of the Rings.
- Both of them did an excellent job of cracking each other up and complimenting each other. Jon said it was “nice to have a brother in the business.” D’awww.
- Lots of good questions from the audience. I asked if Stephen thought his fake presidential campaigns (and they did tease me a bit for the word “fake,” but I deserved it) followed in the footsteps of Pat Paulsen from The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. I’d just watched clips of it in my TV History class a few weeks ago and wanted to find out if they were connected. Stephen’s answer: “I love Pat Paulsen!” Jon’s answer: “No, no, no, no. Pat Paulsen was playing checkers. [Stephen] plays chess.” Can’t say I expected such a strong reaction from Jon!
- Stephen’s favorite election moment: Obama getting re-elected. Jon’s favorite election moment: the Clint Eastwood/empty chair conversation.
- They are positively electric when they’re in the same room together.
Want more deets? I’ll post a link to my MFF blog post when it’s published.